Sunday, August 12, 2012

Only the Beginning.

Hello everyone!

Soon, I will be beginning a new chapter in my life--moving to Busan, South Korea for a full year to teach English.  Did I mention that I'm doing this alone?  :P  In order to share stories, updates and more throughout my journey, I've created this blog to keep you all informed.  (note: check out my facebook for pictures and short updates, and this for more personal stories and detailed updates)
----
This past year has been quite a journey for me. I moved out on my own, fell in love, had my heart broken, learned how to be a good (and bad) friend, and realized that my students were just as capable of teaching me lessons about life as I was to them. On top of many other struggles, I made one of the most difficult decisions of my life--choosing to leave the most perfect job to pursue an unwritten and no-guarantee path. Though some may think I'm crazy for doing so, I felt it was the right decision for me. Sometimes, you just have to follow your instincts.  I mean, they're there for a reason, right?  Yes, I am going to miss my students and colleagues more than I can put into words (especially my cheerleaders!!!), but I am excited to see what the next 12 months bring!
----
Ok, so I'm sure you're wondering what's with the title of this blog. Well, I was greatly inspired by a story (Are you surprised? I'm an English teacher!). When I heard this story, 
it made me stop and realize one of the most important lessons in life: we can CHOOSE what type of person we are and become--it all depends on which one we feed...
...................................................................................


An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.


"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."


The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

................................................................................


No comments:

Post a Comment